I first used Retin-A when I was a teenager and had pimples. With regular use, my pimples disappeared completely.
Once I was older I used it for a while for wrinkles. I am a sun lover and lived on the beach so I stopped using it as this would be contraindicated.
In this post I am going to focus on using Retin-A for anti-ageing.
Retin A comes in 3 strengths 0.1%. .05% and 0.025%.
You will need a doctors prescription to purchase Retin A in most countries.
Retin A must only be applied at night. In the beginning until you skin gets used to it, you will get dryness and flaking and irritation of the skin. In my case the first two days was ok, but after the 3rd application I had irritation, redness and flaking, so I stopped using it for a few days. If you experience this then only use it twice a week until your skin gets used to it, then increase it to 3 times……then step up until you can use it every evening or most evenings.
I used Retin A years ago but now have been prescribed Retacnyl as I was told that it contains the same active ingredient (Tretinoin) but it is a less irritating formulation. Retacnyl is a generic so also cheaper than the original.
This is what I am using presently.
I want to see results asap so I started on the 0.05% and intended using daily, but chin became very flaky so I relented and as stated above used only twice a week, this week 3 x a week.
Tretinoin can sensitize your skin to sunlight so when you are using it, wear a strong sunblock with a HIGH sun protection factor.
You must NOT put it around your eye area, the corner of mouth or nose.
I have large pores, so I have seen a definite decrease in the size of my poors, but the anti ageing affects take a few months to really kick but when it does you will be amazed at how good your skin looks.
Retin A is one of the most powerful products in the war against aging skin. Many scientific studies and my own experience utilizing Tretinoin
- Tretinoin has proven itself to reduce, reverse, and prevent wrinkles. (The younger a person starts using it, meaning in their teens and twenties, the more benefits they receive, but it’s never too late to start using it!)
- Tretinoin helps lighten and prevent age spots.
- Tretinoin builds collagen to thicken and increase the structural strength of treated skin.
- Tretinoin helps to decrease a person’s risk of developing skin cancer. (This should be reason enough!)
- Skin just looks better and younger when people use Tretinoin.
When used correctly, Tretinoin does amazing things for skin!
I use the generic Retacynyl
Tips for Getting the Most out of Tretinoin
Retin-A Tretinoin is clearly a powerful skin care treatment, but there are tricks for using it to get the greatest benefits. Here’s what I tell my patients:
- Always apply it to your skin at bedtime. Never use it during the day.
- Never layer tretinoin with benzoyl peroxide and ideally don’t apply it when you also have acid products on your skin like vitamin C, glycolic acid or salicylic acid.
- Always wait at least 15-30 minutes after cleansing and applying any other skin care products to your skin before you apply Tretinoin.
Despite the many benefits of Retin-A Tretinoin therapy to prevent wrinkles and other issues of aging skin, it can result in some issues if it’s not used correctly. For instance, when starting Tretinoin therapy, you need to begin with “pearl-sized” portions for the face, neck and chest. It is important to begin using it gradually to allow your skin to adjust.
Use it twice a week (every third night) for the first couple of months or weeks. You can judge when to increase weekly usage by how your skin reacts.
A little scaliness and irritation is normal at first, but if the treated skin becomes really sensitive, back off the Tretinoin for a bit.
Let your skin return to normal before you begin the treatment again. As your skin adjusts, slowly try to increase to using it every night.
When you use tretinoin it is important to remember to use a High Sun Protection Factor, do not sunbathe!!!! Avoid the sun (wear hats) sunglasses and keep your face out of the sun as much as possible.
Before and After Images